Me

Me

Saturday, May 9, 2015

The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest



The Huntress of Thornbeck Forrest is Melanie Dickerson's newest YA novel. Odette Menkels, an orphan has been raised by her Uncle Rutger in great luxury. She is allowed to learn to read and spends her days doing as she pleases. She is also allowed to choose her own husband, an unheard of privilege. She also spends her nights poaching deer to feed the poor.
Jorgen Hartman is the Margrave's forester charged with protecting the king's deer. He fall's in love with Odette the first time he sees her.

I really enjoyed reading this retelling of Robin Hood with a charming female cast in the traditionally masculine role. I found myself cheering for Odette, hoping she would decide that Jorgen, although poor was actually a much better person than the rich Mathis. The story brings to the forefront a moral dilemma, is it morally right to poach deer if you are doing it to not to benefit yourself, but to provide for the wellbeing of children who would otherwise starve? G-d must be on her side, right?

I was given this book by the author in return for my honest review, but the opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment